Empower your clients to set the price they pay for appointments with pay-what-you-want pricing. Clients can decide to pay your minimum price or a higher amount.
Before you begin
- To use pay-what-you-want pricing, you need to have either Stripe or Square as your payment processor. Pay-what-you-want pricing isn’t available if your Acuity account is connected to PayPal, either on its own or in combination with Square or Stripe.
- It isn’t possible to accept tips and have pay-what-you-want pricing.
Choose pay-what-you-want pricing
To use pay-what-you-want pricing for all your appointment types:
- In Acuity, click Payment Settings.
- To enable pay-what-you-want pricing for all appointment types, switch the Use the same method for all appointment types toggle On and select Collect deposits or full payment. To enable pay-what-you-want pricing for a specific appointment type, switch the Use the same method for all appointment types toggle Off, click an appointment type, and select Collect deposits or full payment.
- Use the Type of payment drop-down menu to choose Full payment + allow clients to pay extra.
- Click Save.
- The Customize for each appointment type payment option appears after you create your second appointment type.
- The Full payment + allow clients to pay extra option appears if you have Stripe or Square selected as your payment process.
Set minimum prices
When you enable pay-what-you-want pricing, you can set minimum prices for appointments. If you had prices established before moving to pay-what-you-want pricing, those prices become your minimum prices. To set minimum prices:
- In Acuity, click Appointment Types.
- Click Edit for an appointment type.
- Change the value in the Min Price field to your minimum price.
- Click Update Appointment Type.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until all your appointments are updated.
Note: If you leave the Min Price field blank, the minimum price will be $0. Clients can still choose to pay more.
How clients pay
Clients book appointments as normal, but when they click Pay now, the payment panel includes the minimum price, plus a Pay what you want additional amount field. When clients enter an amount in that field, the appointment total is updated.
If the minimum appointment price is $0 and the client hasn’t chosen any add-ons that add cost, instead of clicking Pay now, clients choose between clicking Add a pay what you want amount or Complete appointment.
Add-ons and coupons
Add-ons and coupons both work with pay-what-you-want pricing. Both are applied to the minimum price that you set, and clients can still opt to add an additional amount to their payment at checkout.