Allow your clients to set the price they pay for appointments with pay-what-you-want pricing. Clients booking online decide whether to pay your minimum price or a higher amount.
Before you begin
To use pay-what-you-want pricing, you need to have either Stripe or Square as your payment processor. Pay-what-you-want pricing is not available if your Acuity account is connected to PayPal, either on its own or in combination with Square or Stripe.
Choosing pay-what-you-want pricing
To use pay-what-you-want pricing:
- From Home, click Payment Settings.
- In the ACCEPT PAYMENTS FROM CLIENTS USING dropdown, make sure Stripe or Square is selected.
- In the WHEN CLIENTS SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT dropdown, select allow “Pay What You Want” pricing.
- Click Save Settings.
Setting minimum prices
When you enable pay-what-you-want pricing, you’ll be able to set minimum prices for appointments. If you had prices established before moving to pay-what-you-want pricing, those prices will become your minimum prices. To set or edit minimum prices:
- From Home, click Appointment Types.
- Click Edit for an appointment type.
- Change the value in the MIN PRICE field to your minimum price.
- Click Update Appointment Type.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until all your appointments are updated.
Tip: If you leave the MIN PRICE field blank, the minimum price will be $0. Clients will still be able to choose to pay more.
How clients pay
Clients book appointments as normal, but when they click Pay Now, the payment panel includes the minimum price, plus a Pay What You Want Additional Amount field. When clients enter an amount in that field, the appointment total is updated.
If the minimum appointment price is $0 and the client hasn’t chosen any add-ons that add cost, instead of clicking Pay Now, clients will be able to choose between clicking Add a Pay What You Want amount or Complete Appointment.
Add-ons and Coupons
Add-ons and coupons both work with pay-what-you-want pricing. Both are applied to the minimum price that you set, and clients can still opt to add an additional amount to their payment at checkout.