In this guide:
Setting Appointment Location
Setting Location by Calendar⚓
In Acuity, locations are most often set by calendar, though these locations can be overridden if necessary. Unless an overriding location is added, all appointments booked onto a calendar will carry the calendar’s location.
To set Location by Calendar:
- Go to Business Settings > Availability > Calendars, find the calendar you're interested in, and click the Calendar Settings button.
- Hit Add new location.
- Type in your location and click the Save button.
- Click the Save Changes button.
Setting Location by Client Address⚓
Acuity lets you use an address the client enters as the appointment location. A client-entered address will override locations set by calendar or by appointment type.
How to set Location by Client Address:
- Go to Business Settings > Intake Form Questions.
- Click +New Custom Form.
- Give the form a name and description in the provided fields. (Optional)
- Under ADD QUESTIONS on the left, click Address. Acuity will add a new, blank address question to the form.
- Enter a question in the provided field. (“What is your address?” or “Where do you want to meet?” for example.)
- If you want the question to be required, click the checkbox next to Required.
- Leave the checkbox next to Use this address as the location for the appointment checked.
- On the left at the bottom, under SHOW THIS FORM WHEN SCHEDULING, check the boxes for the appointment types for which you want the client to set the address.
- Click Save Question and Form.
Setting Location by Video Conferencing⚓
Acuity offers direct integrations with several video conferencing apps, such as Zoom and Join.me.
If Acuity is configured to create a new video conference when an appointment is scheduled, the address of that video conference will override all other locations.
You can read more about the integrations at the links below:
Setting Location by Appointment Type⚓
Setting location by appointment type is useful if you:
- have one type of appointment always held in one location
- have at least one other type of appointment always held in a second location
- have only one calendar.
If an appointment type has a location set, it will override the location set on the calendar. It can be overridden by client-entered and videoconferencing locations.
How to set Location by Appointment Type:
- Click here to enable this feature for your account.
- Go to Business Settings > Appointment Types.
- Click Edit next to an existing appointment type.
- Hit Add a new location.
- Type in your location and click the Save Location button.
- Click Update Appointment Type.
Changing, Removing or Deleting an Existing Location⚓
Note: You cannot change the location of one individual appointment. Instead, you must update the setting that is controlling the location. This will be different for each way that location is set, but can include calendar settings, the client's answer to an address question, or appointment type settings.
If an existing location needs updating, follow these steps:
- Click on Add a new location… below the location dropdown menu.
- Edit the location.
- Click Save Location.
You can also use the dropdown menu to switch between different locations.
To remove location from a calendar or appointment type, use the dropdown menu to select None as the location.
Acuity will delete a location entirely (so that it no longer comes up as an option when setting a location) if you remove it from all the calendars or appointment types for which it was in use.
How Acuity decides which location to use⚓
If there's more than one location Acuity could apply to an appointment — such as if there's a location for the calendar and for the appointment type — Acuity will pick the “highest-ranking” option.
How the various ways of setting location are ranked:
- Video conference — Integrations such as GoToMeetings and Zoom will automatically set a link to the virtual meeting as the location. If set up, this will override any other location.
- Address entered by client — You can use an intake form to let clients set their own addresses as the appointment location. This will override locations set by appointment type or calendar.
- Location by appointment type — Setting this will override locations set on calendars, but will not override the locations above.
- Location by calendar — This is the basic building block of location in Acuity. If you set location on a calendar, it will apply to all appointments on the calendar, unless one of the types of location of above is also in play.
Viewing Appointment Location
Clients see appointment location on the confirmation page and, by default, in most notification emails. It is also included if clients add the appointment to their own calendars.
Viewing Location on the Confirmation Page⚓
Location is listed on the confirmation page each client sees when they’ve completed the booking process. The location line is highlighted in the example below. If no location is set, the location line will be removed entirely.
Viewing Location in Notification Emails⚓
Appointment location will appear by default in the confirmation, reminder, cancellation and rescheduling emails that Acuity sends. However, this can be customized or removed.
When sending the emails, Acuity will automatically add the appointment location wherever the location tag (%location%) appears in the email template. You can read more about customizing email notification templates in this article.
This is how location appears in an a notification email sent using the default template: