Calendars in Acuity are your "limiting resource", which means that they hold the hours of availability, as well as other limits and restrictions that allow (or block) certain appointment types to be scheduled on them. They can be used for separate staff members, multiple business locations, or some other limiting resource.
Set up a Calendar for each Staff Member/Provider or Location
If you have multiple locations with different opening times, or staff members with varied availability, you can create separate calendars to accommodate each schedule. To create a new calendar you will:
- Head to the Business Settings > Availability & Calendars tab.
- Click the "Add New Calendar" button.
- Name your calendar.
- Assign appointment types to the calendar. This will be done under the "Appointment Types" section, and will determine the kinds of appointments that new calendar is able to take.
Here are some other cool things you’re able to do:
- Set which e-mail addresses will receive notifications when someone books an appointment on the calendar. Just separate multiple addresses with commas in the “Email” field in your calendar’s Settings.
- Create users with access to calendars in the Manage Users section. This way, users can manage appointments and availability, but can’t modify account-wide settings (like appointment types, appearance, or billing––only the account owner can do that). Users will only be able to view and manage appointments and clients who book on the calendars they’re given access to. For more info on the areas of the account your users will have access to, visit our doc on adding account users.
- Add a location to the calendar to organize calendars by location on your scheduling page, and to include the calendar location in notification emails to clients. For more info on calendar locations be sure to check out our handy dandy doc on that!
- Upload an image to the calendar, which will display next to the calendar name on your client scheduler. This is doable in the "Picture" field.
Note: If you have several staff members sharing rooms or another limited resource, check out using Rooms/Resources to create additional restrictions on your availability.
Setting the Email/Phone Number on Individual Calendars
To change the email and phone number associated with each of your account's individual calendars, go to Business Settings > Availability & Calendars > Settings tab. Adding a mobile phone number for your calendar here will send a text notification to that number if you're on either the Growing Business Plan or Powerhouse Player Plan and have enabled text notifications. Read more about this here!
Want to see what it’s like for clients when they schedule their own appointments? Check out What do clients see for a walk-through. After clients choose their appointment type, they're presented with a list of calendars that the appointment can be scheduled on for them to select from. You can also have a calendar automatically chosen by choosing the "any available" option in the Scheduling Page Options section, which pools together their availability and randomly picks an available calendar. It’s pretty much a way safer version of going to the hair salon and telling them to surprise you.
Each calendar also has a separate direct link that clients can use to book. You can find it by going to the main Calendar listing page and clicking “Direct Scheduling Link.” Clients can use this link to book an appointment with just that calendar, and you’ll also find the calendar embed code, which you can use to place that individual calendar’s scheduler on your website.
If an employee leaves, you can delete their user account under Manage Users and also delete their calendar from within the Settings on that calendar. See Deleting a Calendar for more info.